Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Tuesday at the gym

Great workout tonight!  One hour of weights (both upper and lower body), 30 minutes on the bike (now on level 10 woo hoo!) and one hour of yoga.  Tomorrow night I'm going to Zumba!  It's usually course night, but they were cancelled this week because of Thanksgiving.  Yay!

I'm going to work on a new playlist this weekend.  I love the songs I've got, but I need to change it up.  I'd love some suggestions.  What song gets you going?

Today at work somebody noticed that I've lost weight.  The remark?  "wow, you're starting to look good, almost normal!  Soon you're going to have start beating men off with a stick".  Hmmm. I don't even know where to start on this remark lol.  My actual response?  "Gee, thanks"  with a smile.  My inner thoughts?  "Why the frick does everyone think that getting healthy is an ulterior motive to getting male attention?!?"  Seriously, I've come across this type of remark before and I just find it so annoying.  I know, the person making the remark isn't trying to be anything but complimentary so I don't take it out on him/her, but it irks me.  I've never been a 'pretty' girl and losing weight isn't going to change that one whit!  I am what I am.  My father died of a heart attack at the age of 47.  He wasn't fat or diabetic and I'm both.  THAT is what's motivating me - not attracting men!  *whew* - someone check the calendar!  I've been hyper-sensitive for 2 days now LOL.

5 comments:

  1. Your kitty looking in the door window pic cracks me up!

    Hey... do you remember reading Dr Phil's book a million years ago? The part where he talks about the filters we use to interpret incoming data? and how we can tend to UPplay the negative, and DOWNplay the positive??

    Just thinking out loud here... so...someone tried to say something lighthearted and supportive in their own duffuss way... but you are not pleased that they care to try to be supportive, or that they NOTICED that your hard work is paying off.

    Rather, you picked out that part about men, and missed a wonderful compliment that could have had you glowing all day! I am smiling as I write this, cuz I've been known to do the same thing. That's kind of how I recognized it.

    You are working so hard, you DESERVE a compliment! Forget the blunder part, and accept the kudos part, cuz you sure have earned it! I admire your hard work. :-)

    Loretta
    =^..^=

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Loretta, I love how you call me on my stupid behaviour! You're right of course. In examining my reactions, I do tend to pick out the insults or poo-poo the compliments as insincere. Even last night at the gym one of the staff members said that she's noticed that I've lost weight and I said "oh you're paid to say that". In a nice way, though, I wasn't a bitch about it :) But yes, I did think she felt she 'had' to say something and didn't really mean it. Reading your comment has made me re-evaluate this. I have lost weight so it was a true comment and I shouldn't make people uncomfortable by being ungracious about their compliments / comments. Something else to work on! Thanks Loretta for smacking me in the face with this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, hi, Stephanie! I've just found you via Loretta. And I'm glad I did!

    I read your title bar and I must say that you certainly have courage! I haven't yet been able to admit that I'd like to get to 135 pounds--I just say that I'll decide on my final goal number when I get to 152 (which is 100 pounds lost for me.) 135 still sounds like an impossible dream to me.

    You've encouraged me to think about that. Thanks. Hmmm. I wonder if this comment serves as an admission. :o chuckle.

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Deb! I see it as an admission LOL. You go girl! I'll see if I can find your blog. I'm not too good at this....

    Today at work somebody that I haven't seen for 3 months said "oh, you've lost weight - look at you! I can see it in your face and you've lost your boobs". Oh Loretta, I'm trying to find the positive in THAT comment! ha ha ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Stephanie...Stopping by via Loretta's suggestion! I adore Loretta and any friend of hers is a friend of mine....Glad she sent me!

    ReplyDelete